Django vs. Ruby on Rails: Which Web Development Framework to Choose?
Summary: Ruby on Rails and Django are the most popular web development frameworks. Choosing one over another is a bit challenging for developers. No worries, this blog will cover the briefing and compare the two compelling frameworks based on some real-time parameters. Keep reading to find out your best fit.
Django and Ruby on Rails are both the best web development frameworks in the programming space. They have a unique output to each task and are dynamically typed & object-oriented. Both are quite popular web frameworks and will continue to grow more in 2021. But how do you choose one over the other? Here are a few things to consider that will help you make the right choice.
Have a look:
What is Django?
Django is a Python-based web framework and a common choice for Python app development.
Why is Django popular?
Django is a general-purpose, open-source, and free framework that makes it easily accessible to developers.
Pros of Django Framework
- Mature software with multiple Plug-ins
- Highly customizable & scalable
- Supports MVC programming
- Includes Representational State Transfer (REST) framework
- Adopts battery-included approach
Cons of Django Framework
- Can’t handle multiple requests simultaneously
- Based on Django ORM
- Makes web app components tightly coupled
- Extremely Monolithic
- Highly Reliable on ORM System
Companies using Django
Pinterest, Instagram, Spotify, Udemy, Coursera
What is Ruby on Rails (RoR)?
Ruby on Rails is a server-side, open-source, web app framework written under MIT license.
Why is Ruby on Rails popular?
Rails provide robust default database structures, pages, and web services. It is a time-savvy and convenient method for developers to write code.
Pros of Ruby on Rails Framework
- Easy to modify and migrate
- Quick development
- Higher testing environment
- Active RoR community
- Robust functionality with less coding
Cons of Ruby on Rails Framework
- Less runtime speed and performance
- Difficulty while creating API
- Lack of flexibility
Companies using Ruby on Rails
Airbnb, Bloomberg, Dribble, GitHub, Yellow Pages
Now that you have refreshed all the concepts of these popular web development frameworks. Let’s find out how they differ based on real-world parameters.
Difference between Django and Rails Framework
When to choose Django?
- When you want a highly detailed app loaded with remarkable features, trust Django.
- When you want to develop a secure and practical single page application, trust Django.
When to choose Ruby on Rails?
- When you want to go for a rapid launch and then work on the website’s specification or a web app.
- When the project is relatively repeatable
Which is better: Ruby on Rails or Django?
Well, it’s quite hard to answer that as both the frameworks are equally competitive. They both share significant similarities and roles in the various development task. However, choosing one over another depends entirely on your project requirements and development objectives.
Are you still struggling to make the best choice for your next web development project? Let Successive Digital take the opportunity to ease things for you. Our experienced software technocrats have worked on several projects with enormous technology stacks and delivered robust business solutions. Contact us to get started.